I am so excited to tell you I lost 5 pounds this week! I am actually currently at the heaviest weight I have ever been in my life. I went back to school a few years ago to finish my bachelor’s degree then started working (hard enough to get two promotions in a year). I also run this blog and have been carting my little athlete around to all of his sporting events (as he gets more athletic, I get fatter sitting on the sidelines). I have accomplished a lot and so has Tyler BUT the one place I have sacrificed is my health.
I decided it was time to make a change so I hired an online personal trainer. I have actually been thinking about this for awhile and have been following this trainer for years. I don’t remember how long but I can tell you I first learned about him (and then later his beautiful wife) when I had a MySpace account so that should tell you something. I finally decided to just jump in head first.
I have some tips that have helped me stay on my eating/exercise program that I think will help you no matter what type of plan you’re on!
What Can Help With Weight Loss
- Plan your food the night before. I pack my entire lunch box the night before so I only have to grab it in the morning. I also am eating steel cut oats every morning so I measure those the night before.
- Cook in bulk. I am eating several servings of protein per day so I am cooking chicken and salmon in bulk and then separating it into baggies so I can just grab it when I need it. I can either heat it up or have it cold on my salad.
- Make it fun. I honestly HATE cardio. Even back in my thin days when I worked out 5 times per week at the gym I hated cardio. When I am on that treadmill I feel like a hamster on a wheel. Just wasting energy when I could be doing something worthwhile with it. SO I am trying to make it fun. My son and I have been going hiking a riding bikes together (added benefit-bonding and creating healthy habits for Ty). My mom and I have been taking walks (added benefit-talking with my mom who is by biggest supporter). I am starting a Saturday morning Zumba class with two of my best girlfriends (added benefit-I LOVE dancing so this is a huge treat for me plus I get to spend time with two of my favorite people in this world).
- Get a buddy. When I get home from work I am exhausted. I do not want to even THINK about exercise. Having my mother and son there every night demanding I go for walks or bike rides with them has helped more than you could imagine. I can honestly say I’m so sure if I would have worked out at all if not for them hounding me. Once I got out there and started moving though it just refreshed me and increased my energy. On our last bike ride it was my son begging to go home and me saying, “Just a little farther!”
- Celebrate small successes. I am definitely proud of myself for making it through the week following this plan. I can honestly say I really didn’t cheat at all-once I had ranch dressing on my salad and once I had a bite of sweet potato with my fifth meal where no carbs are allowed-but that’s it! My test was when my current boss bought a cake to celebrate my last day in my department because I am starting a new one next week. I did not have even once single bite. I didn’t even put my finger in the frosting and taste it. NOTHING! Then my company bought sandwiches from my favorite deli for the whole office. I just had my packed lunch. The sandwich wouldn’t have been too bad except it was on hard rolls which are all white flour. Those were my two moments this week when I could’ve fallen off my healthy eat wagon but didn’t! Whoo hoo!
- Reward yourself. I am giving myself a treat every week that I make it through this program. This week I am going to buy myself a new pair of black shoes that will go with everything because I have needed them for so long and never buy myself anything. OF COURSE there will be post on the shoes too!
What are your tricks to eating healthy? Is anyone else on a healthy eating kick due to the warm weather coming up? Tell me about it!
Image credit: pixelbrat / 123RF Stock Photo