In this day and age parents are so busy that we don’t even realize that we don’t spend that much real time with our children, interacting and building bonds. I always have the same resolution every year and I’m pretty good about keeping it. I make it a point to spend fifteen minutes of uninterrupted time with my son per day no matter how busy or tired I am. We sometimes spend more than that and will do activities that are more involved but below I have listed the activities I lean on when the last thing in the world I feel like doing is being a good parent. These times when my son is needy yet all I was is to close my eyes! The activities can be accomplished in a short amount of time, require little materials, and involve little to no clean up.
Ways to spend time with your child:
1. Take time to laugh with them-Tell a funny story or ask them to tell you a joke they learned at school. There are many ways to laugh with your children.
2. Play Uno-This is my favorite go-to game when I’m exhausted and my son needs some attention. This game is so easy that all ages can play it and you can focus on chatting with your child not on playing the game.
3. Do chores together-Sometimes I am so exhausted when I get home that it’s all I can do to get dinner on the table and finish up a few chores before I crash. I have started asking my son to help me with dinner and it has become a great way for us to bond. He gives me so much help but he is also learning a valuable life skill and has taken such an interest in cooking.
4. Just talk-When was the last time you just sat down and had a conversation with your child. Try asking questions and listening reflectively. It is a proven technique that will make your child feel closer with you.
5. Read together-If your child is younger you can read to them or if they are older you can have them read to you. At this stage of our lives my son usually cuddles with me and we both read our own books but it’s still time together sharing a common hobby.
Image credit: wavebreakmediamicro / 123RF Stock Photo