Hi, it’s Ciara here again from My Fussy Eater. I’m excited to be back on Less Than Perfect Parents sharing my tips on how to sneak some extra vegetables into your children’s diet. Last month I posted a recipe for a delicious Blueberry Smoothie with some sneaky hidden spinach and this month I’ll be showing you how you can give your children’s diet an extra nutritional boost by swapping regular fries for sweet potato fries.
Kids love french fries. That’s a given! But by making a simple swap and using sweet potatoes you can increase the nutritional content of your children’s meal. Sweet potatoes have more vitamins A and C, calcium, iron, potassium and magnesium, fewer calories and carbs and more fibre.
The insoluble fibre in the skin of sweet potatoes provides much needed roughage for little bodies and so I always leave the skin on when making my fries. Also it’s so much easier and quicker to make them when you don’t have to peel the skin off!
With all that said, regular potatoes are still pretty darn healthy and I think they way you serve them is probably more important than the choice of actual potato. Baking your fries is substantially more healthy than frying so put the deep fryer away for special occasions only!
I served my sweet potato fries with a mayo and plain yogurt dip but you can choose any dip or sauce that you know your kids will love.
- 2 large sweet potatoes (approximately 24oz)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400F. Wash the sweet potatoes and remove any inedible bits from the ends.
- Slice the sweet potatoes into fry or wedge shapes. You can make them as thick or as thin as you want, just be aware that the cooking time might vary.
- In a bowl combine the olive oil, garlic powder and paprika. Add the sweet potatoes and mix until they have been well coated in the oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Place the sweet potato fries in a single layer on a baking sheet and place in the oven for 15 minutes, turning once.
- Increase the oven temperature to 430F and continue to cook the fries for another 5 minutes or until they are nicely browned.
- Remember that the size of your fries may change the cooking times so check them regular to ensure they are not burning.
- Serve immediately with a dip or sauce of your choice.