Do you wonder how to get your kids to exercise? In today’s technology driven world, kids spend more time inside utilizing that technology – video games, smart phones, tablets and more. While technology is great and an important part of life today, exercise is still just as important as it was years ago, maybe more so today.
Exercise and physical activity is crucial for development in all children. It helps to build strong bones, helps them maintain a healthy weight, builds social skills, and helps them with self-confidence and self-discovery. All kids should participate in physical active or exercise for at least one hour per day. Here are some ways in which you can get your kids to exercise and enjoy it:
5 Ways To Get Your Kids To Exercise
- If you live in an area that has undesirable weather often, you might wish to consider investing in exercise or activity driven video games. There are many games that will get your child up and moving, when it is not easy to get outside and get moving. Many of the game consoles today offer sports related games, as well as dancing and other fun activities that your child will love doing. If your child is a video game “junkie,” perhaps a requirement to play other games, is that he or she must participate in a physical activity game for at least one hour.
- Get your child involved in fun walks and charity walks. Not only is this a good way to teach your child to give back to the community, but it is a great way to get in some exercise and activity. Make it extra fun by allowing your child to invite a group of friends to participate together.
- Scavenger hunts are a great way to get your child engaged in physical activity. Depending on the age of your child, you can hide clues all around (inside and outside). Each clue can have a challenge they must perform in order to move onto the next clue, such as jumping jacks or dribbling a basketball for 2 minutes. The key is to make it fun and engaging and have a great prize at the end!
- Try to spend time at least every weekend doing an activity together as a family. Rollerblading, ice skating, swimming, rock wall climbing, hiking, football, basketball, Frisbee and more are great family activities. This is great exercise for the entire family and a great time to bond and enjoy a different activity every week. Making family fitness fun is good for your kids and for you!
- There are many school and community based sports clubs. Support your kids to join one that is of interest to them and make sure you motivate them to enjoy playing sports. This will ensure that they stay active and will build on their social skills.
There are a variety of ways in which you can keep your children active and engaged in physical activity. Use your imagination, and stay supportive and active with your kids as well.