Hello! It’s Ciara here again from My Fussy Eater . I’m really excited to be back here on Less Than Perfect Parents sharing my recipes for feeding your family. Earlier this year I shared some of my tips to sneak extra vegetables into your children’s diet. But today I’m getting into the festive spirit and showing you how to make these delicious Peppermint Candy Cane Brownies!
These brownies are gluten free; made with a mixture of ground almonds and coconut flour. They can also be made dairy free by swapping the butter for the same quantity of coconut oil.
The great thing about this brownie recipe is that it’s not just for the holidays. You can adapt the ingredients to make super tasty brownies throughout the whole year. But for now, I’m loving the addition of peppermint and candy canes on top; the perfect festive combination!
- 3.5oz unsalted butter
- 6oz dark chocolate
- 3.5oz coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp peppermint extract
- 5.5oz ground almonds
- 2oz coconut flour
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- ¼tsp salt
- 6 candy canes
- 4oz dark chocolate
- ¼ tsp peppermint extract
- Preheat the oven to 340F. Line a 8x8inch dish with parchment paper.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over a medium heat. Remove from the heat and add the dark chocolate in small pieces, stirring until it has all melted. Add the sugar and date syrup, stirring again.
- Crack in the eggs and mix.
- In a large bowl add the ground almonds, coconut flour, cocoa powder and salt. Pour in the melted chocolate mixture and stir until everything is well combined. The mixture will be quite thick and sticky but that is perfect!
- Spoon the mixture into your lined dish and spread out with a spatula. Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes (15 mins if you like your brownies quite gooey and 20 mins if you prefer more firm).
- While the brownies are baking, put the candy canes into a small sandwich bag and bash with a rolling pin to break them up. Then melt the chocolate.
- Remove the brownies from the oven and pour the melted chocolate on top, then sprinkle on the candy canes.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour and then cut into 9 pieces.