Our family’s fun summer bucket list is complied throughout the year. Every time we think of a something we’d like to try we add it to our summer fun list. This bucket list is a list full of traditional and old-fashioned summer fun ideas that every kid should experience at least once in their lives. I pulled together these activities from my own childhood as I was blessed with parents who gave me a magical childhood full of wonder. These are the memories that I want to pass on to my children that they will carry with them forever!
Fun Summer Bucket List:
- Go to the library and get a book – while you’re there check out their summer activity list. Libraries are a great resource of free activities for all ages. I have a library bad that I fill with all kinds of supplies to keep my son busy. We go there several times a week to read, draw, practice math facts, and to take advantage of their activities.
- Bike rides – Bike rides are always fun and great exercise. I like bike trails without cars because then I can relax and enjoy the ride instead of worrying about my son getting hit.
- Jump rope – You can teach them songs to jump to or have a jump rope contest. Don’t forget to double dutch!
- Go for a hike and collect items from nature – Hiking is always fun and I recommend collecting nature items and creating a craft after. You can try our stick necklace craft or just let them glue their nature item on paper to create a story.
- Make homemade popsicles and eat them after playing outside
- Go on a picnic – Create a lunch together and eat it on a blanket. This is a great time to bring some special treats to enjoy. It’s also a perfect opportunity to have your children’s full attention so use it to have a heart to heart conversation.
- Chalk it up – Create chalk drawing and play hop scotch. I was horrified when I had some kids over to play hop scotch and they had no idea what it was!
- Have a family baseball game – Base ball is so much fun but if it’s not for your family, you can substitute it with soccer or badminton as well.
- Skip rocks – Skipping rocks is so much fun and allows kids to throw rocks without getting in trouble! What could be better than that?
- Go to the beach (use our beach bag checklist)
- Make a fire pit, tell (ghost or something less scary) stories, and roast hot dogs and marshmallows
- Catch fireflies – What says summertime more than fireflies? To me the thought of catching fireflies is the symbol of the summer nostalgia of childhood.
- Blow bubbles – Blowing bubble can be done two ways. The first is will bubble soap and the second with gum. Although we don’t do a lot of gum chewing it is something I feel can be enjoyed once in a great while especially when I show off my bubble blowing skills!
- Use a hoola hoop – A hoola hoop is fun and great exercise for both kids and parents. When I tried this with my son I couldn’t believe what a work out I got!
- Play hide-and-seek – This game is a classic and fun for everyone. Once the parents get the kids going they can relax while the kids keep playing for hours!
Does your family make a bucket list? What are your favorite old fashioned activities for the summer?