While most kids understand how important recycling and being green is for the environment, many do not fully understand the ramifications pollution has and how all of this affects the Earth. Understanding how our actions have lead and will lead to environmental problems for them in the future will offer a new perspective to your children and recycling as a family unit. Here are some fun Earth facts you and your kids will enjoy:
17 Earth Facts For Kids
- One recycled aluminum can (soda can) can save enough energy and electricity to power a TV for three hours.
- It takes 75,000 trees to print the Sunday edition of the New York Times.
- One recycled glass bottle can help save enough energy to power a light bulb for four hours.
- Plastic will take over 500 years to decompose in a landfill, while glass will take one million years.
- Only 1% of plastic shopping bags are recycled.
- Your old video game console has gold in it, that when recycled can be made into new jewelry.
- Old cellphones contain zinc, which when recycled can be used to build ships.
- Landfills take up a lot of space and as they increase because of the amount of garbage we throw out, we will run out of places to put a landfill.
- Landfills are dangerous for the wildlife, as these animals go into the landfills and take items full of toxins that are dangerous and deadly to them.
- Landfills seep toxic substances into the land, which ruins soil and can kill vegetation for hundreds of miles, as well as contaminant water below the grounds surface.
- Landfills excrete toxic gases into the air.
- Although the Earth’s surface is 70% water, many people go without fresh water because of pollution.
- For each ten pounds of plastic bottles you recycle, 3.3 pounds of toxic gas (carbon emissions) are eliminated from the air.
- For each ten pounds of aluminum cans you recycle, 37 pounds of toxic gas (carbon emissions) are eliminated from the air.
- Plants on the Earth’s surface have existed for over 400 million years, however, we are killing them every day with our toxic garbage.
- Carbon monoxide is a toxic gas that comes from burning fossil fuels (mostly in cars) and its emissions are destroying the environment and humans.
- Deforestation is one of the causes of global warming and thought to be the reason behind all of the severe weather changes.
There are many, many more facts regarding recycling to save the environment and the Earth. Protect your naturally resources and recycle, reuse and reduce as much as possible.